ABC x IAS short research leave funding
In a cooperative initiative, ABC and the UvA Institute for Advanced Study (IAS) are jointly financing a new type of ABC grant that aims to facilitate time-off for writing new interdisciplinary grants.
Writing grant proposals is a time-consuming process, and the daily hassle not always allow researchers the time for a properly thorough and creative thought process. Some grant proposals are so big, ambitious, ground-breaking, away-from-core-business, etc. that they cannot just be done on the side.
With the ABC x IAS grant, we offer ABC members a time-out to spend at the IAS institute with one or more other ABC members to jointly prepare an interdisciplinary grant proposal, to be submitted to NWO/EU or other grant agencies.
ABC can award 1 or 2 of these grants in 2019, with a total maximum of 40K€.
Thus, each grant consists of max. 40K€ (for all expenses to be covered, for all ABC-members on board, and including possible seed investments for research explorations). Note however that if two eligible grant proposals are selected, this may yield a max of 20K€ per grant; therefore, please indicate what you can do with a max of 20K€, and (if desired) what you plan to do with 40K€.
This money can be used to finance any form of assistance, that can be used to enable the researcher to spend time at the IAS. In addition, it is possible to apply for funding (travel and accommodation costs, up to €7.500) to support the invitation of international collaborators.
- To start off this new grant, the allied ABC/IAS initiative particularly welcomes proposals on the theme of decision making in its broadest sense.
What we offer
The ABC offers funding up to max. €20.000 (+ €7.500 for an international guest)
- this can be used for compensation to liberate time from other departmental duties (such as teaching)
The IAS offers the facilities of IAS international fellows program
- a ‘home base’ at the IAS: flexible work space, use of facilities
- networking support
- organisational support for events such as academic discussions, lectures and think tanks
- scholarships for student assistants
In order to be eligible for funding, the application contains the following elements:
- a brief description of the main idea for the contents of the grant to be written (max 500 words),
- a justification of why time-off at this scale is crucial for a successful application (max 200 words)
- the alleged grant scheme to which will be submitted, including deadline and specifics
- collaborators within and outside UvA/ABC
- international guests who will be invited (if applicable)
- time schedule, including time spent at IAS
- a budget estimation
An interdisciplinary grant proposal, feasible but of high ambition, that is ready to be submitted (in time).
Deadline: 15 November 2018
Aim: Provide ABC members with a time-out to spend at the IAS institute with one or more other ABC members - to jointly prepare an interdisciplinary grant proposal, to be submitted to NWO/EU or other grant agencies.
Who can apply: Members of ABC with a completed PhD, and who have at least 0.5 FTE appointment at the UvA or AMC.